Monday 15 August 2011

DIY lace bodice tutorial.

How To Make a DIY Lace Bodice. 

Inspired by other bloggers, like Luanna from LeHappy I decided to make a lace bodice top.
black Steve Madden shoes - blue vintage skirt - black vintage top


Here's a step-by-step(ish) tutorial of the process!


What you're going to need:
Bra, I used the same color that  my tank was, but I suppose you could really use whatever color you like.
Lace tank top
Pins
Thread and needle (or sewing machine) I sewed by hand because the bra is a little padded and I didn't want to fight with my machine to get it finished. 

Cut off straps of the tank top and of the bra.

Fold down the top of the bra so that it is rounded. 


Sew the piece that attaches to the bra strap down so it remains round. (it will pinch in a little, but that's okay, the lace will cover it.)

Cut a V in the lace tank top (min was straight across to begin with) and then place where the V is in the bra.
Fold over the edges of the lace tank top over top of the edge of the bra.

Pin it.


(the back is just straight across)...



Sew across the top edge of your pinning and.............



VOILA! A lace bodice top.
If you were really keen you could probably sew in strips of black and insert boning. 
But I didn't find it necessary since my top already fit nicely. 
Cost:
Lace tank top: 2$ on sale
Bra: Old bra that I had on hand (free)
Sewing Thread/etc: Had it already (free)

Grand Total: 2$

Definitely expect this to be styled in the near future. I am loving it. It is see through/lace around my stomach but just enough that it is not inappropriate to wear in public. 




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment